January 2022 - Kitchen Storage Box
Here we are in 2022! I know we've been here for a couple of weeks already but for us here at Simple Swaps the new year is just getting started. We're finally unpacked and in our new home and now that's done it's time to knuckle down and catch up with everything that was put on hold during our period of homelessness. Well, not real homelessness of course, a transition period of just over a month where we were staying with family waiting for our new place to finalise. It took a little longer than expected so I'd like to apologise for this post not being available on the 1st of the month as usual.
But, without further ado, let me introduce you to our January 2022 Simple Swaps Box. We've started the year off with a bang, giving you a variety of different options to help you deal with leftovers and store food in your kitchen.
First cab off the rank, Essentials Box Contents -
Retro Kitchen Reusable Bowl Covers.
A great option for covering your food without using plastic film.
Handy for transporting food, covering bowls on the outdoor table or storing left overs in the fridge.
100 % cotton with a food safe lining that keeps the moisture in.
Small fits bowl diameter up to 24cm.
Large fits bowl diameter up to 27cm.
Green and Kind reusable silicone food covers.
Simple Swaps box is all about options which is why we've included two different kinds of food covers in this month's box. Now you get to decide which kind you like best and want to buy more of.
These silicone covers can be used to seal dishes, bowls, jars, cans, cups and cups. Made from premium food grade silicone they have a range of amazing benefits:
- Clear silicone lids help identify contents inside
- 6 versatile sizes (6.5cm, 9.5cm, 11.5cm, 14.5cm, 16.5cm, 20.5cm)
- Suitable for the fridge, freezer and microwave
- Dishwasher safe in the top rack
Wakatobi Eco 1litre Reusable Silicone Ziplock Bag
A perfect alternative to ziplock bags!
Made from premium FDA approved food-grade silicone, they don't leach chemicals into our foods like plastic can so are both safe and convenient. Suitable for the fridge, freezer and even microwave!
- Perfect for fruits, soup, leftovers, snacks and more.
- Closure bar has an arrow that lines up with the arrow on the bag to show the direction to slide for sealing.
- One side has measurements and the other has a panel to write contents of the bag with a sharpie or similar dry erase marker.
- Cleaning is easy, you can either put it on the top rack of your dishwasher or hand wash and dry upside down.
If you love this one make sure you visit Wakatobi Eco and check out the range of sizes available.
Queen B Avo Saver Beeswax Wrap.
These wraps are handmade in Australia by an ethical small business. Queen B uses only pure Australian beeswax.
This particular wrap size is designed specifically for saving cut avocados but would also be great for cheese bread or other fruit and veggies.
- Packaged in 100% recycled card with a corn starch window.
- Will stick to itself using the warmth of your hands to create a tight seal.
- Rinse between uses in cold-lukewarm water with a mild dish soap.
Now for the Deluxe Box additions:
The Swag Reusable Veggie Saver Bag
This small Swag bag is ideal for smaller vegetables such as grapes, several bunches of herbs, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes etc. You can have a combination of fruits, veggies and leafy greens in one Swag.
Small: 37cm x 24cm Closed, 37cm x 38cm Open
These eco-friendly bags work to store and extend the life of your vegetables keeping them crisp and fresh days after being put in the fridge. The Swag is made out of three different/unique layers of 100% natural, unbleached, unseeded cotton. Each of the three layers play a significant role in keeping your fresh produce fresher for much longer.
How do they work?
Keeping your fruit and vegetables in a plastic bag is the perfect environment for bacterial growth which increases the rate of decay. It effectively suffocates in the plastic bag and begins to sweat, wilt, lose it's flavour and looks pretty horrible too.
The Swag changes this by maintaining the freshness of your veggies in the fridge and allowing them to breathe and rehydrate.
- The robust outer layer of The Swag protects your fruit & veggies by preserving the water within the middle layer from drying out too quickly.
- The thick, absorbent middle layer holds the bulk of the moisture. This layer draws the water away from the fresh produce, yet allows it to hydrate as needed.
- The inner layer of The Swag provides a dryer protection barrier however as all three layers are permeable, they allow your fruit & veggies to breathe and stay fresher for Longer.
Again they come in several different sizes so make sure you keep an eye out for stockists if you love them as much as I do.
BioBag Resealable Food Storage Bag
If you just can't bring yourself to let go of single use ziplock bags just yet, these 20 packs of 17.8 x 22.1 cm bags are a fantastic alternative to most supermarket varieties.
Unlike regular plastic, BioBags can be consumed by micro organisms that live in our soil and can be composted along with organic waste.
And just like that, we're done for another month. I'll be back in a couple of short weeks to tell you all about the amazing products in our February Box!
Until next time